Crowns, Bridges, and Veneers
If you have a damaged or decayed tooth, our dentists can help you choose the best solution. Crowns and bridges are custom-fitted tooth prosthetics that function and look like natural, healthy teeth. Veneers are a less invasive alternative, but may only be a solution for those with slight tooth damage or discolouration. These thin porcelain or resin shells come in customisable colours and are bonded to the surface of your teeth.
A crown, otherwise known as a cap, is custom-fitted to your bite and is placed over your natural tooth or dental implant. We recommend this procedure for a healthy tooth;
- that has a very large filling,
- previous root canal therapy, or
- is at risk of fracture.
- We will reduce the problematic tooth for a proper crown fit
- An impression will be taken of your bite for crown fabrication
- The color of porcelain prosthetics can then be customized
- We will fit you with a temporary crown until the lab makes your permanent one
- You will come in again for permanent crown fitting
To replace a missing tooth that has neighboring teeth with decay and/or large fillings, or a tooth that has been missing for a long time (i.e., with gum recession around the area), we recommend bridges as opposed to dental implants.
Types of Bridges:
- Traditional — Crowns are bonded over teeth that lie on either side of the missing one
- Cantilever — Crowns is bonded over a single tooth next to the missing one
- Resin-bonded — Porcelain or plastic teeth with gums that are supported by metal “wings”
If you’re looking to cosmetically correct or enhance the appearance of one or more teeth, we suggest veneers. They are very thin, porcelain or resin shells that you can customize in colour. They are non-invasive and are resistant to future stains.
Common uses for veneers:
- Chipped or broken teeth
- Misshapen or irregular teeth
- Teeth that do not respond to traditional whitening treatments